Pages

March 1, 2011

lasers leak



Warning: this is not F+L or The Cool (in case you can't read...in which case, get the fuck outta here.) 


Lasers is straightforward, with far less intricate lyrics, more booming instrumentals and mainstream hooks than we're used to from the old Lupe. We know he has already publicly expressed his distaste for this album, even before its release, but don't let that discourage you from appreciating it. It's Lupe and it's still DOPE AS HELL. While I'm not married to every single track - unlike Dark Twisted Fantasy, natch - there are quite a few gems on Lasers that blow the weak ones out of the water. 


4 out of 5


01. Letting Go (feat. Sarah Green) 5/5
So good and so unexpected — it figuratively shit all over me. 
02. Words I Never Said (feat. Skylar Grey) 3/5
Everyone else seems to love this song, but I can't get on it. I don't hate it, but need to give it a few more listens...
03. Till I Get There 4/5
Chill banger.
04. I Don’t Wanna Care Right Now (feat. MDMA) 3/5

Don't hate Lupe for this one -  he came hard with the requisite club track.
05. Out Of My Head (feat. Trey Songz)  5/5

Headbanging tribute to the ladiez. I predict myself dancing to this in the mirror while getting ready to go out. Or right here in my cube at work...
06. The Show Goes On 5/5
Lupe didn't rip off Float On, it's called sampling. And it's close to perfect.
07. Beautiful Lasers, (Two Ways) (feat. MDMA) 5/5

One of the most anticipated tracks. Much stronger lyrically, incredible overall. Only wish there were more than 2 verses.
08. Coming up (feat. MDMA) 5/5

Uplifting attempt at a Tupac-esque anthem. For the girls and the hood. Clearly, as I just realized I'm clapping along...
09. State Run Radio (feat. Matt Mahaffey) 2/5

Not a fan.
10. Break The Chain (feat. Eric Turner & Sway) 3/5

Lupe DID his thing on the flow. This is probably the most epic-sounding track, but I'm not feeling the hook. And WTF did Sway say?
11. All Black Everything 4/5

Here's the Lupe we know and love. Thoroughly enjoying the sample - reminds me of a vintage Disney movie.
12. Never Forget You (feat. John Legend) 5/5
Love me some Legend. Addicting beat and a beautiful album closer, IMO.


Lasers comes out on March 8th



No comments: